Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nic M

Default Planning content and layout when using Excel as a database

Hi
I'd like some advice about the best way of setting up tables and
worksheets for recording lots of different, but connected, information
ie. a database. Most people have said that's what access is for but I
don't have the expertise to build what I think would be a complicated
database and I also don't have the software (use a Mac).

I want to build a nutrition database that will contain details of
foods, vitamins, minerals, symptoms, diseases etc but I'm not sure of
the best way to lay it out. If I have a worksheet with symptoms in rows
and vitamins in columns I can easily record the link between the two so
that at a glance it's easy to see what symptoms might be caused by a
lack of a vitamin C for example or what the possible vitamin
deficiences were causing headaches. However if I wanted to search on a
combination of symptoms I'm not sure how I'd do it if they are in rows.
If I switched them round so that the symptoms were in columns I could
use the the filter options but then that doesn't make it as user
friendly as an A-Z row list.

I don't know much about linking worksheets so is it better to put as
much info as you can on a single page or is there a canny way of
linking worksheets to cross reference. ie. If there is a worksheet
for symptoms/vitamins and a worksheet with food/vitamins how do you
cross reference them so that you can easily see which foods to
recommend when you've identified a certain deficiency.

Sorry that's a bit long winded and I appreciate it's not really a
technical problem but I imagine it could be if I don't get it right
from the beginning.
Thanks in advance for any replies
Cheerio
Nic