Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tikchye_oldLearner57

Default count for empty cells

hello community

can anyone in community tell me whether is there a function to count for
"empty" cells beside the Count (counting cells that has numeric data) and
CountA (counting of cells that had filled alphanumeric data)

thanks again for helping
--
oldLearner57
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miguel Zapico

Hi,

There is a function called COUNTBLANK in my function lists, that does that;
I am using Excel 2003, so I don't know if it was present in previous versions.

Miguel.

"tikchye_oldLearner57" wrote:

hello community

can anyone in community tell me whether is there a function to count for
"empty" cells beside the Count (counting cells that has numeric data) and
CountA (counting of cells that had filled alphanumeric data)

thanks again for helping
--
oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi

E.g. in range B1:B10
=COUNTIF(B1:B10,"")

Regards,
Stefi

€˛tikchye_oldLearner57€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

hello community

can anyone in community tell me whether is there a function to count for
"empty" cells beside the Count (counting cells that has numeric data) and
CountA (counting of cells that had filled alphanumeric data)

thanks again for helping
--
oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

You can use the following UDF to count your blank cells.

If you wanted to count the blank cells between A1 and A10 you would enter
the formula where you want the result in the following manner:

=CountBlanks(A1:A10)

Function CountBlanks(CellRange As Range) As Integer

Dim rng As Range
Dim iCounter As Integer
Dim iBlanks As Integer
Set rng = CellRange

Application.Volatile

For iCounter = 1 To rng.Cells.Count
If rng.Cells(iCounter).Value = "" Then iBlanks = _
iBlanks + 1
Next iCounter

Set rng = Nothing
CountBlanks = iBlanks
Exit Function

End Function

--
Kevin Backmann

"tikchye_oldLearner57" wrote:

hello community

can anyone in community tell me whether is there a function to count for
"empty" cells beside the Count (counting cells that has numeric data) and
CountA (counting of cells that had filled alphanumeric data)

thanks again for helping
--
oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Be awa

A cell can be blank, but not empty. In cell A1 enter:

=IF(1=1,"","")

countblank(A1) will return 1 even though the cell is not empty.

In VBA IsEmpty() will return true on truely empty.
--
Gary''s Student

"tikchye_oldLearner57" wrote:

hello community

can anyone in community tell me whether is there a function to count for
"empty" cells beside the Count (counting cells that has numeric data) and
CountA (counting of cells that had filled alphanumeric data)

thanks again for helping
--
oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tikchye_oldLearner57

thanks to Miguel Zapico , Stefi , Kevin B , Gary''s Student for the generous
assistance given :)

yes! so near yet so far - the function "countblank" is found inside the
function table
--
oldLearner57

"Miguel Zapico" wrote:

Hi,

There is a function called COUNTBLANK in my function lists, that does that;
I am using Excel 2003, so I don't know if it was present in previous versions.

Miguel.

"tikchye_oldLearner57" wrote:

hello community

can anyone in community tell me whether is there a function to count for
"empty" cells beside the Count (counting cells that has numeric data) and
CountA (counting of cells that had filled alphanumeric data)

thanks again for helping
--
oldLearner57

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SteveC

So in your opinion what's the best way to count a cell with no value, but a
cell that may have a formula? thanks!