Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brian Clarke

Default Change base 6 to base 10?

A report I get regularly lists amounts of time in hours and parts of an
hour. However, the "parts of an hour" are units of 6 minutes, while the time
is listed in "pseudo-decimal" format, like this:

90 minutes would be 1.3 hours
12 minutes would be 0.12 hours

and so on.

I am trying to get the right formula to translate these into decimal hours,
so that

90 minutes would be 1.5 hours
12 minutes would be 0.2 hours

and so on.

The following works for positive numbers, but not negative numbers.

=INT(H2)+((H2-INT(H2))*10/6)

I have tried adapting this formula, but I am getting nowhere. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi

Do you mean this?

=(INT(ABS(H2))+((ABS(H2)-INT(ABS(H2)))*10/6))*SIGN(H2)

Regards,
Stefi

€˛Brian Clarke€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

A report I get regularly lists amounts of time in hours and parts of an
hour. However, the "parts of an hour" are units of 6 minutes, while the time
is listed in "pseudo-decimal" format, like this:

90 minutes would be 1.3 hours
12 minutes would be 0.12 hours

and so on.

I am trying to get the right formula to translate these into decimal hours,
so that

90 minutes would be 1.5 hours
12 minutes would be 0.2 hours

and so on.

The following works for positive numbers, but not negative numbers.

=INT(H2)+((H2-INT(H2))*10/6)

I have tried adapting this formula, but I am getting nowhere. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brian Clarke

Yes, that's it! Many thanks for your help. Even after 10+ years of Excel, I
am still learning. I wasn't aware of the SIGN function.

"Stefi" wrote in message
Do you mean this?

=(INT(ABS(H2))+((ABS(H2)-INT(ABS(H2)))*10/6))*SIGN(H2)

Regards,
Stefi

"Brian Clarke" ezt ķrta:

A report I get regularly lists amounts of time in hours and parts of an
hour. However, the "parts of an hour" are units of 6 minutes, while the

time
is listed in "pseudo-decimal" format, like this:

90 minutes would be 1.3 hours
12 minutes would be 0.12 hours

and so on.

I am trying to get the right formula to translate these into decimal

hours,
so that

90 minutes would be 1.5 hours
12 minutes would be 0.2 hours

and so on.

The following works for positive numbers, but not negative numbers.

=INT(H2)+((H2-INT(H2))*10/6)

I have tried adapting this formula, but I am getting nowhere. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Andre Croteau

Hi Brian,

try this:

=(INT(ABS(H2))+((ABS(H2)-INT(ABS(H2)))*10/6))*(H2/ABS(H2))

This will work for both negative and positive.

rgds

André

"Brian Clarke" wrote in message
A report I get regularly lists amounts of time in hours and parts of an
hour. However, the "parts of an hour" are units of 6 minutes, while the
time
is listed in "pseudo-decimal" format, like this:

90 minutes would be 1.3 hours
12 minutes would be 0.12 hours

and so on.

I am trying to get the right formula to translate these into decimal
hours,
so that

90 minutes would be 1.5 hours
12 minutes would be 0.2 hours

and so on.

The following works for positive numbers, but not negative numbers.

=INT(H2)+((H2-INT(H2))*10/6)

I have tried adapting this formula, but I am getting nowhere. Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stefi

You are welcome! Thanks for the feedback!
Stefi

€˛Brian Clarke€¯ ezt Ć*rta: