Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LewR

Default sorting question

Looks like my post from early didn't post correctly, so I'll try again.

I have a spreadsheet that has 25 rows with 33 columns of data in each
row. I want to be able to sort the rows by using data in 5 columns
(not just 3 that the sort drop down box offers). Any ideas on how I
can do this?

--
LewR
LewR's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32420

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mrice

You can do this in two steps.

Sort first on columns 4 & 5 in your hierarchy followed by a second sort
for 1,2 & 3. Excel should not mix up the sort that you have already done
(or at least that's what the help pages said)

--
mrice

Research Scientist with many years of spreadsheet development experience
mrice's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10931
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=538189

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Try:

If you're sorting five columns A,B,C,D,E

sort the last three first, C,D,E and then sort A,B.

HTH

"LewR" wrote:

Looks like my post from early didn't post correctly, so I'll try again.

I have a spreadsheet that has 25 rows with 33 columns of data in each
row. I want to be able to sort the rows by using data in 5 columns
(not just 3 that the sort drop down box offers). Any ideas on how I
can do this?

--
LewR
LewR's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32420
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=538189

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bigwheel

If all your data is numeric, you could use a helper column in which you
create a formula based on the items to be sorted i.e.
=A1*100000+B1*10000+C1*1000+D1*100+E1 then sort on that column
(adjust the multipliers to work with your data)

"LewR" wrote:

Looks like my post from early didn't post correctly, so I'll try again.

I have a spreadsheet that has 25 rows with 33 columns of data in each
row. I want to be able to sort the rows by using data in 5 columns
(not just 3 that the sort drop down box offers). Any ideas on how I
can do this?

--
LewR
LewR's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32420
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=538189

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LewR

Thanks to all. Since some of the data to be sorted in alpha-numeric the
sorting twice is the way I have to go.