Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
grahammal

Default Dropdown Menu

I have a list of manufacturers that I want to put in a dropdown menu. I
want one menu with the letters of the alphabet in it and a second menu
which will be dependant on the 1st depending on the letter. If I then
select say 'M' then only those manufacturers beginning with 'M' will be
displayed.
I can do this OK but I wanted to split the manufacturers into 26 groups
each in there own letter of the alphabet group and name each group as A,
B, C etc.
Why cant I call a group 'C'. I can call a group 'A' or 'B' OK but when
I try to call it 'C' or 'c' it says the name in invalid?
I think it does this with certain other letters as well.
Can anyone tell me why.

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
grahammal

Thanx for that young sir.
Have called the groups Aa, Bb, Cc etc instead.

--
grahammal
grahammal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20336
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=538012

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
L. Howard Kittle

You seem to have an answer to your problem. But perhaps you can do this, if
I understand correctly, and it will eliminate the need of a second drop
down.

With your manufacturers list sorted in alphabetic order, put a single A at
the start of the A's, B at the start of the B's ... all the way down the
list to Z. (You may have to adjust the Source range in the Data Validation
box to accommodate the extra list length.)

To call the W list of manufacturers, type a single W into the drop down box
and DO NOT hit enter. Now click on the drop down arrow and there is the W
list.

Now, you can hit enter after typing in a letter, but you will then have to
reselect the drop down cell, so it saves a step.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"grahammal" wrote