Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan

Default Opening a .csv file

Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
".csv"
If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot open it in its
csv format.
Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Under VB code you would simply open the file, however, you may find it
easier to open the file via Data, Import External Data , or by File,
Open and specify Files of all Types *.* - and import via the wizard
using the defaults

A file is recognised (in this case) by its affix, ie, by .csv and if
you change that to .csv060606 then the file format will not be
automatically recognised. (note, this would not be considered good
practice).

Hope this helps

--

dan Wrote:
Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" &
TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
".csv"
If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot open it
in its
csv format.
Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan

Currently I am doing it with .xls files, will you consider this not a good
practice.
I want to do the right thing. Thanks

news:Bryan.Hessey.26ykqm_1146201001.1981@excelforu m-nospam.com...

dan Wrote:
Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" &
TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
".csv"
If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot open it
in its
csv format.
Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

In a browser (My Computer, not Internet) look in Tools, Folder Options,
FileTypes.
This is where the system shows what program will be used to open files
of various types.

Using a system that changes .xls to .xls060606 (or other dates) will
either mean that the system does not recognise your files, or that you
register each 'type', in this case each file.

Others trying to view your files will also need to follow suit.

I presume that would indicate it is 'not good practice'.

Excel workbook names should end in .xls (etc), and Comma Separated
Value file names should end in .csv

--

dan Wrote:
Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" &
TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
".csv"
If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot open

it
in its
csv format.
Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

--
Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread:

Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan

I looked in Tools, Folder Options, FileTypes
I did not find anything like (.xls060606) other than .xls
However, the icon for .xls060606 is unknown type, but
I can still open it with no extra effort in xls format.
I don't use this method for any other extension.
I believe someone suggested me so some time ago.
I have been doing that way at least a year and have no problem.
For .xls file, it does not affect any of its integrity.
I wish to hear from other comments.

dan Wrote:
Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" &
TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
".csv"
If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot open

it
in its
csv format.
Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

--
Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread:

Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

Another view can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filename_extension

dan Wrote:
I looked in Tools, Folder Options, FileTypes
I did not find anything like (.xls060606) other than .xls
However, the icon for .xls060606 is unknown type,

it is unknown if it was not present in the list

but
I can still open it with no extra effort in xls format.
I don't use this method for any other extension.

certain filetypes (.Doc .xls etc) have internal filetype recognition.

I believe someone suggested me so some time ago.

I would check with that someone to see if they intended you to add the
date to the filename (proper) rather than to the file extension

I have been doing that way at least a year and have no problem.
For .xls file, it does not affect any of its integrity.
I wish to hear from other comments.

. . . but it's your pc.

--

"Bryan Hessey"

dan Wrote:
Currently I save my daily data.csv file as "data" &
TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy") &
".csv"
If I save it as "data.csv" & TEXT(TODAY(),"mmddyy"), I cannot

open
it
in its
csv format.
Is there a vba code to open it in csv format.

--
Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread:

Bryan Hessey

Bryan Hessey's Profile:
View this thread:

Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=537029

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dan

Thank again, Bryan

news:Bryan.Hessey.270o7a_1146298804.1011@excelforu m-nospam.com...

dan Wrote:
I looked in Tools, Folder Options, FileTypes
I did not find anything like (.xls060606) other than .xls
However, the icon for .xls060606 is unknown type,

it is unknown if it was not present in the list

but
I can still open it with no extra effort in xls format.
I don't use this method for any other extension.

certain filetypes (.Doc .xls etc) have internal filetype recognition.

I believe someone suggested me so some time ago.

I would check with that someone to see if they intended you to add the
date to the filename (proper) rather than to the file extension

I have been doing that way at least a year and have no problem.
For .xls file, it does not affect any of its integrity.
I wish to hear from other comments.

. . but it's your pc.

--

"Bryan Hessey"