Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HDV

Default Count Problem

Hi

Can anyone help?

I have a basic logging sheet, which is recording reports in and out of
my department. Column E shows which sub-team they went to ie
Transport, Engineering or Construction. Column G is the date out
column. I have a separate table with an overview per team.

The overview table lists the teams down the left, and then working
across the next column counts the number of reports for each team -
easy enough with a basic =COUNTIF(E5:E250,"Engineering") etc......
However in the next column of my overview I want to count those reports
completed per team by counting if there is a date in column G, but
against the appropriate team. Any ideas? Probably dead simple - but I
can't find how to do it!

Thanks

HDV

--
HDV
HDV's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26299

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Range1="Engineering"),--(ISNUMBER(Range2)))

Biff

"HDV" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
HDV

It works - how does it work though I'm bamboozled. - thanks Biff.

HDV :)

--
HDV
HDV's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26299
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=536989

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
L. Howard Kittle

Take a look at this site to help you understand sumproduct.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld....T.html#classic

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"HDV" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Try this little exercise:

Create this small table:

...........A...................B
1.......Eng..........4/27/2006
2.......Const.......3/30/2006
3.......Eng...........Pending
4.......Trans........Pending
5.......Eng...........(empty)

Now lets break down the formula into its individual parts:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5="Eng"),--(ISNUMBER(B1:B5)))

Enter this formula in D1 and copy down to D5:

=--(A1="Eng")

Enter this formula in E1 and copy down to E5:

=--ISNUMBER(B1)

Enter this formula F1 and copy down to F5:

=D1*E1

And finally, enter this formula in G1:

=SUM(F1:F5)

That's what's happening with this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A5="Eng"),--(ISNUMBER(B1:B5)))

Dates are really just numbers that are formatted to look like dates. So, to
test if a date is present all you need to do is test the cell to see if it
contains a number, thus ISNUMBER.

The "--" double unary is used to convert boolean values: TRUE or FALSE to
numeric values 1 or 0:

(A1="Eng") will return either TRUE or FALSE

--(A1="Eng") will return either 1 or 0

Biff