Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rae Drysdale

Default can not find align decimal points option

Format | Cells | Number and set for designed number of decimal places.
--
Rae Drysdale

"nastech" wrote:

saw in xl help file, but not re-searchable. trying to align decimal points.

other problem exists with number/text formating, e.g.: 1.5B or 1.5M

using some workarounds:
- distribute formatting gets rid of seeing b/m
- cond. formatting colors represents millions or billions

- still have mis alignement:
104
21.
1.0

- Recommend MS allow use of Custom formatting "in-cell" for text / number
strings.
if can't already do

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nastech

hi, thanks. think I saw in help somewhere was specifically stated to align
decimal point, something of a centered on decimal point fashion. if shows
here in text:

100.0
1.511
0.21

"nastech" wrote:

saw in xl help file, but not re-searchable. trying to align decimal points.

other problem exists with number/text formating, e.g.: 1.5B or 1.5M

using some workarounds:
- distribute formatting gets rid of seeing b/m
- cond. formatting colors represents millions or billions

- still have mis alignement:
104
21.
1.0

- Recommend MS allow use of Custom formatting "in-cell" for text / number
strings.
if can't already do

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

Format/Cells/Number:Accounting, set number of decimal places.
If you choose number of decimanl places = 5, then
100.5 will appear as 100.50000
This is the closest I've been able to find.
If you don't want the $ mark, you can choose Symbol as none.

A decimal tab in Word will do what you're talking about. It even works with
alphabetoc characters. I wish there were something similar in Excel.

"nastech" wrote:

saw in xl help file, but not re-searchable. trying to align decimal points.

other problem exists with number/text formating, e.g.: 1.5B or 1.5M

using some workarounds:
- distribute formatting gets rid of seeing b/m
- cond. formatting colors represents millions or billions

- still have mis alignement:
104
21.
1.0

- Recommend MS allow use of Custom formatting "in-cell" for text / number
strings.
if can't already do

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Patricia Shannon

Actually, as Rae (almost) said Format/Cells/Number/Number gives the same
thing if you don't want the $ sign. I was thinking it did something else.