Junior Member

Default XL won't let me insert columns

I'm trying to insert columns into a spread sheet. It lets me insert 2. From then on it won't let me insert any more.
It says: "to prevent loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to the right and below your data. then select A1, and save your workbook to reset the last cell used. Or you can move the data to a new location and try again." I've tried those things and they don't work.

What does?

Junior Member

If I press "home" on the keyboard, the box ends up in the "A" column coresponding to the row it was in. If I press "end" + "home", the cursor box goes to row 1955, column IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie

"TROUBLE" wrote:

I'm trying to insert columns into a spread sheet. It lets me insert 2.
From then on it won't let me insert any more.
It says: "to prevent loss of data, Microsoft Excel cannot shift
nonblank cells off the worksheet. Try to delete or clear the cells to
the right and below your data. then select A1, and save your workbook
to reset the last cell used. Or you can move the data to a new
location and try again." I've tried those things and they don't work.

What does?

--
TROUBLE
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kassie

Since column IV is the last one in the sheet, small wonder you are getting
this message! Are you using all the columns from A to IT, and all the rows
from 1 to 1955? If not, then go to the last cell you have actually used, say
for example AG1058, delete all the columns to the right of that, and all the
rows below that. save your file and press <End<Home again. If you have
used all the columns up to IT, you cannot insert any more columns, I'm afraid!

"TROUBLE" wrote:

I'm trying to insert columns into a spread sheet. It lets me insert
2.
From then on it won't let me insert any more.