Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bxc2739

Default Can Excel access substrings and individual characters?

Can excel macro access SUBstring individual 'char' level? If so how?
If possible I'd like to compare only the first character of each of the
customer name fields.
Sometimes the customers go by acrynoms and sometimes the name is fully
spelled out. So
to avoid a false negative it is more safe to search/filter by the first
character of the beginning of the
word/name only. Does excel macro allow substring functionality? If I am
to comparing the first char of the name
field of each sheet how to I access this, what is the syntax for
accessing & comparing substring characters??

I have two sheets 1 & 2. I’m to match customers from sheet 2 to 1.

I want to match by zip code and by name. If zip AND name of row(x) in
sheet 2
Matches with zip AND name of ANY of the 5000+ row(s) in sheet 1 then
highlight row(x) in sheet2. (to indicate a match)
If no match are found, then do nothing, and move on to next row of
sheet2 until all rows of sheet2 are finished comparing to the sheet1.

Basically I need to compare TWO fields simultaneiously, (double match)
per row to the respective TWO fields with the second sheet I am
comparing too. If both criteria are meet then it is a match. Otherwise
it is left alone/ignored. I want to do this for all 35000+ rows in my
sheet2 which will take a long time without the help of a macro. Both
the sheet to be worked on (sheet 2) and the sheet that exists only for
comparison (sheet1) are huge and have many entries.

What I need to do now is the second step: How do I compare AT THE SAME
TIME both the ZIP CODE (numeric) AND the CUSTOMER NAME
(string/character/word) of sheet2 to the Zip and Name of sheet1.??

--
bxc2739
bxc2739's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32538

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

Examine the help topics on the following formulas, for substring manipulation:

LEFT(String, NumOfChars)
RIGHT(String,NumOfChars)
MID(String,StartPosition, NumOfChars)
--