Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jcoleman52

Default Strange Occurrence Copying Formula

Hello:

I had very unusual experience with Excel this morning. I had set up a
workbook last week to do some calculations, and I opened it up this
morning to continue my work. I wanted to copy a formula from one cell
to others in the same column. I used the same procedure I had used a
million times before - selected the object cell, hit crtl-C to copy,
then selected the target cell(s), and finally, hit ctrl-V to copy the
formulas. Well it seemed to copy them correctly, the cell references
all changed appropriately for the copied cells, but the results were
not correct. The result for all the cells was the result for the
original cell, just copied over and over again, even though the
formulas appeared to address different cells with different values. A
little additional info: 1) When setting up the workbook, I had tried
to insert multiple worksheets at once instead of just inserting one at
a time, as I had always done previously, and 2) When opening the
workbook this morning, in the header above the toolbar, where the
workbook name appears, there was a notation "[Group]" after the name,
which I had never seen before. I shut down Excel and re-opened the
workbook, thinking that I had inadvertently hit a strange key
combination on opening, but that didn't work. I shut down and rebooted
my PC, but that didn't work. Finally, after I opened up a blank sheet
as a "New" workbook, entered some data and did the ctrl-C, crtl-V
sequence, it seemed to reset everything to work as expected. Weird.
Any ideas? Thanks alot.

--
jcoleman52
jcoleman52's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29498

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Miguel Zapico

The cause may be that the workbook was set to manual calculation somehow.
Check it on Tools - Options - Calculation.
You can also check it by pressing F9 after you did the copy/paste, if that
was the cause the data should change after that.

"jcoleman52" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
gem

The "[Group]" notation was because you had multiple sheets (tabs) selected.
Right click one of the tabs and select Ungroup Sheets.

-gem

"jcoleman52" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
jcoleman52

Thanks, guys. Both replies were right on the money. I changed to
manual calculations and the phenomenon repeated itself. I changed back
and everything calculated correctly.

A also checked out the group/ungroup thing, and that was as you said it
would be.

I don't know how the manual calculation switch got turned on, or how I
turned it off earlier, but...all's well that ends well.

Thanks again.