Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Robert Judge

Default How can I convert a WORD document to EXCEL?

I have received a WORD 2003 document containing hundreds of names addresses,
and phone numbers, an example of which is below:

XYZ CO. John Smith 759 Chestnut Street, Spfld. 01199 794-1245

I would like to convert the data in this WORD document to an EXCEL 2003
worksheet. Can I accomplish that, and if so, how?

I will appreciate advise.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
protonLeah

You could try deleting all unneeded lines in the word.doc file and
saving the remainder as a .txt file, then, opening it with Excel will
start an import wizard that should get you close to what you want.

BVJ

--
protonLeah
protonLeah's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32097

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Emma Hope

Hi robert,

I'm not an expert by when i have had similar things, i have copied the text
directly into excel which puts it in lots of rows but all in one column, then
i use the 'text to columns' which is on one of the menus and then you can use
the wizard to separate it out into its components in separate columns.

Hope this helps
Emma

"Robert Judge" wrote:

I have received a WORD 2003 document containing hundreds of names addresses,
and phone numbers, an example of which is below:

XYZ CO. John Smith 759 Chestnut Street, Spfld. 01199 794-1245

I would like to convert the data in this WORD document to an EXCEL 2003
worksheet. Can I accomplish that, and if so, how?

I will appreciate advise.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Tom MacKay

There are lots of ways to try this. So don't worry, you will definitely find
a way to get this done.

One thing to look at is...how has Word separated each element of the name
and address? If you set Word so that it displays non-printing
characters...goto the Tools menue, then Options, then the View tab, then the
Formatting Marks section...select "All".

This will display the chaacters that sepertae the text. If it is tab marks
or something else, when you open it in Excel, that character can be used to
put each piece of text in a new cell. if it is just spaces, you'll have to
try something else.

The "text to columns" feature mentioned below uses this same feature.

Best of luck.