Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Calculation of Text

Default How can I caculate text in a column?

I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
Can these be added up like #'s in the column?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

try
=countif(a:a,"x")

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Calculation of Text" <Calculation of
wrote
in message ...
I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
Can these be added up like #'s in the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

You can use the length function to determine the number of characters in the
cell and then sum those values.

The formula below sums the length of the value in A2, to the lengths of the
value in A3 and so on.

=SUM(LEN(A2),LEN(A3),LEN(A4),LEN(A5))
--
Kevin Backmann

"Calculation of Text" wrote:

I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
Can these be added up like #'s in the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Something like?

=countif(A1:A100,"=X")

=countif(A1:A100,"=XX")*2

etc

HTH

"Calculation of Text" wrote:

I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
Can these be added up like #'s in the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

=COUNTIF(A:A,"x")+COUNTIF(A:A,"xx")*2+COUNTIF(A:A, "xxx")*3

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Calculation of Text" wrote:

I have columns where I have used X's as tick marks. X=1, XX=2, XXX=3, etc.
Can these be added up like #'s in the column?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett

Actually, this is probably what you wanted.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(LEN(H2:H50)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(H2:H50,"x",""))))