Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
potsie

Default If Function

I got through the 401K after playing with it awhile. Can someone help me with
my last IF function problem. To calculate health cost for each employee by
testing the name of the employee's plan is equal to the name of the health
plan in cell B4. If it is, then the cost of the health plan is equal to the
value in cell C4, otherwise, the cost is equal to the value of cell C5, help1
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this

cost = IIF(employee's_plan = B4, C4,C5)

Note:
The syntax for the IIF Function is:

IIf(expr, truepart, falsepart)

The IIf function syntax has the following named arguments:

Part Description
exp ----Required. Expression you want to evaluate.
truepart -----Required. Value or expression returned if expr is
True.
falsepart -----Required. Value or expression returned if expr is
False.

IIf always evaluates both truepart and falsepart, even though it
returns only one of them. Because of this, you should watch for
undesirable side effects. For example, if evaluating falsepart results
in a division by zero error, an error occurs even if expr is True.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John James

Hi potsie

Am unfamiliar with "IIF" function, except in a macro context.

But try arthurjr07's function using "IF" instead. And replace
"employee's_plan" with your cell reference or range name.

--
John James
John James's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32690

Creating a Custom Excel Function to Calculate Gini Coefficients [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 21st 06 10:15 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
Conversion SVC Excel Worksheet Functions 9 February 28th 05 02:29 PM
HOW CAN I GET OFFICE 2003 EXCEL BASIC TO NEST FUNCTIONS LIKE EXCE. Robert AS Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 2nd 04 10:49 AM