Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Check boxes and extracting the data

I was sent an excel book and there 10 columns, 15 rows of checkbox
data. In each of these cells there are mutiple check boxes. How in the
WORLD do I extract out the information out of the data? I did not build
the workbook and there is not any code to tell me what's going on
etc...
I have never messed with checkbxes only validation lists and am totally
at a loss!

Any help is MOST GRACIOUSLY Needed!

Thanks,

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I just found out about those too. I was trying to cancel out a column of
numbers when checked.
They link to a cell and evaluate at true/false (1 or 0). I just multiplied
the column total by the linked cell and that either left the value alone or
zeroed it.
Right click on them select "format control" and see where they point. That
might help you.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was sent an excel book and there 10 columns, 15 rows of checkbox
data. In each of these cells there are mutiple check boxes. How in the
WORLD do I extract out the information out of the data? I did not build
the workbook and there is not any code to tell me what's going on
etc...
I have never messed with checkbxes only validation lists and am totally
at a loss!

Any help is MOST GRACIOUSLY Needed!

Thanks,

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well here is the secondary problem, if I right click the actual box,
there is nothing. If I rightclick the cell, there is nothing. When I
created a checkbox of my own on this sheet, it will show exactly what
you are saying...This is bewildering! It is like the cells & worksheet
is protected, but it is not. So, how do I go about extracting the
information, without being able to reference the checkbox!?! As Charlie
Brown would say, "ARRRGGGHHH!!"

I appreciate any further insight you may have

Thanks,

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay...got a little further since a few moinutes ago. I can access the
check box/format control..it only has the Size, Protection, Properties,
Web tabs only. Now in the formula bar it has the following:
=Embed("Forms.Checkbox.1",""). Does this give you any insight as to how
they designed this??

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

See if this gets you on the right track....

A Checkbox can be linked to a cell that will reflect the value of the
Checkbox.
You can determine which cell is linked by:

If the Checkbox came from the Forms Toolbar:
Right-click on the Checkbox
Select: Format Control
Select the Control tab
The linked cell will be contained in the Cell Link box.

If the Checkbox came from the Controls Toolbar:
Display that toolbar
Click the Design Mode icon (so the Checkbox can be selected)
Right-click on the Checkbox
Select: Properties
The linked cell will be contained in the LinkedCell field.

Hopefully, the other checkboxes will be assigned to cells in that general
area too.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

" wrote:

I was sent an excel book and there 10 columns, 15 rows of checkbox
data. In each of these cells there are mutiple check boxes. How in the
WORLD do I extract out the information out of the data? I did not build
the workbook and there is not any code to tell me what's going on
etc...
I have never messed with checkbxes only validation lists and am totally
at a loss!

Any help is MOST GRACIOUSLY Needed!

Thanks,

Hans

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Seeing "=Embed("Forms.Checkbox.1","")" in the formula bar indicates that the
control came from the Controls toolbar. Consequently, when in Design Mode
you can:

Right-click on the Checkbox
Select properties
View the contents of the LinkedCell field

Does that help?

Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro