Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Dates

Hi

Trying to format dates such as 17/03/2006 as 17 March 2006. However,
even when I change the 'Type' to English UK ther above date won't
change and 02/06/2006 returns 06 Feb 2006. Is there a setting that
needs to be changed?

Thanks

Mick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

How are the dates being entered into the worksheet?

If you're typing them, then make sure you match the windows short date
format--or make the dates non-ambiguous (17 March 2006).

If you're importing the dates from a text file, make sure you go through the
import wizard and choose date for this field--and choose the correct format
(dmy).

If the dates have already been entered (by someone else???), then you have a
problem.

If you format those dates in an unambiguous format (dd mmmm yyyy), you'll see
that some are really dates and some are really text. The bad news is it sounds
like the real dates are not correct (the day and month portions have been
swapped).

If this is the case, then I think I'd consider reentering the dates correctly.
(Yep, it sounds like a lot of work.)

--

Dave Peterson