Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

Default export .CSV with field containing double quotes?

I need to export a .CSV file from excel and one of the fields needs to
be exactly:

"w.c.

i.e. double quote, w, period, c, period

What do I need to put in the cell for it to come out the right way?

Thanks in advance!
Billy

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bryan Hessey

William,

It is normal that where a double quote is required within double quotes that
the character is repeated, this will happen to your data when you output to a
..csv file.
Any cell that contains a comma will also be wrapped in (double) quotes. (the
comma is a field seperator, any commas that are data need to be preserved).

The program receiving the .csv file should recognise the data received and
remove those double quotes that were 'wrapping', as would happen in Word,
Access, Lotus Notes etc.

Open the file in Notepad to view the characters as they were output.

Hope this helps.

--

"William DeLeo" wrote:

I need to export a .CSV file from excel and one of the fields needs to
be exactly:

"w.c.

i.e. double quote, w, period, c, period

What do I need to put in the cell for it to come out the right way?

Thanks in advance!
Billy

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529335

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

Unfortunately that does not help. The program that is reading in these
files is a VisualFoxPro database and it is not handling the "wrapping".
I need to try to trick it ... I don't care how it appears in excel, but
I need the end result in the .csv file to be:

"w.c.

Is there no way of achieveing that? I am running macros to write the
.csv file ... can I fix it that way somehow???

Thanks for your attention and yout time.

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529335

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

Is there no one that can offer suggestions? Macro or formula?

Thanks

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529335

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Maybe you could build your own formula that concatenates the values in each cell
in the row:

I put
asdf (in A1)
qwer (in B1)
w.c (in C1)

I put this in D1:
=""""&A1&""","""&B1&""","""&C1

and it evaluated to:
"asdf","qwer","w.c

Then I could drag that formula down the column.

Select the column, copy it, paste it into notepad and save it as my .csv file.

If you want to build a macro, you could have complete control over each field.

Some sample code to get you started:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

William DeLeo wrote:

Is there no one that can offer suggestions? Macro or formula?

Thanks

--
William DeLeo
William DeLeo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1256
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529335

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
William DeLeo

Thank you Dave ... I will resort to the Macro and follow your links as a
guide.

I appreciate the reply.

Take care,
Billy