Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
t2true

Default Append value to cell or cells

I have a group of four-digit extensions listed in a spreadsheet and I
need to add an area code and prefix to each. Is there a way to add that
to each cell without editing each cell?

Thanks

--
t2true
t2true's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3877

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Try this:

In a cell put your area code * 10000 i.e for area code 123 put 1230000.Copy
this cell, select columns to be changed, paste special==operation=Add and
then OK.

So extension 9876 would be converted to 1239876

Delete cell with area code

HTH

"t2true" wrote:

I have a group of four-digit extensions listed in a spreadsheet and I
need to add an area code and prefix to each. Is there a way to add that
to each cell without editing each cell?

Thanks

--
t2true
t2true's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3877
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=529294

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

If the area code and prefix is the same for each cell make a backup copy of
your file, then you can insert a helper column to the right of the column
containing the 4 digit extensions and write the following formula:

="(xxx) xxx-"&A1

Where the x's represent the 3 digit area code and prefix respectively and A1
is the cell with the 4 digit extension.

Copy the formula down the column, select the entire column containing your
formulas and click COPY on the toolbar (or Ctrl + C) and move to A1. Click
EDIT in the menu and select PASTE SPECIAL and select VALUES.

Delete the unnecessary helper column and you're in business.
--
Kevin Backmann