Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
steev_jd

Default Using cell value in forumla

Hi,

I need to enter the value of another cell, as a cell reference, into
another formula.

I have got the current formula
=CONCATENATE("D",(MATCH($B4,$D$1:$D$7985,0)))

Which outputs a cell reference in column j, i.e. 'D10' in cell J5

I then need another forumla which compares two cells, i.e.
=MATCH(B7,D10)
(The D10 value coming from the result of the formula above),

however I dont know how to do this, I can only get the formula to say
=MATCH(B7,J5)

Anybody know how to do this?

Cheers,
Steve

--
steev_jd
steev_jd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=33107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary Brown

Try match(B7,indirect(J5))

--
Gary Brown
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Do you mean

=MATCH(B7,"D"&MATCH($B4,$D$1:$D$7985,0))

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"steev_jd" wrote in
message ...

Hi,

I need to enter the value of another cell, as a cell reference, into
another formula.

I have got the current formula
=CONCATENATE("D",(MATCH($B4,$D$1:$D$7985,0)))

Which outputs a cell reference in column j, i.e. 'D10' in cell J5

I then need another forumla which compares two cells, i.e.
=MATCH(B7,D10)
(The D10 value coming from the result of the formula above),

however I dont know how to do this, I can only get the formula to say
=MATCH(B7,J5)

Anybody know how to do this?

Cheers,
Steve