Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pookie76

Default Coverting string of text into individual sums?

Is it possible for me to have excel sum all the one letter codes into
individual cells and let me know the count?

Ie. (AAABBCDDDD) A=3, B=2, C=1, D=4
and have those sums placed in an individual cell for each?

Thanks for the help.

--
Pookie76
Pookie76's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12815

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Coderre

Try this:

For a value in A2
And B1: A
And C1: B

B2: =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A2),B$1,""))
C2: =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A2),C$1,""))

Those formulas return the counts of "A" and "B" in cell A2,
respectively.

Is that something you can work with?

Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Domenic

Assuming that A2 contains the text string, let C2:C5 contain A, B, C,
and D, then enter the following formula in D2 and copy down:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MID($A$2,ROW(INDEX($A:$A,1):INDEX($A:$A,LEN($A$2) )),1)=C2)
)

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Pookie76
wrote:

Is it possible for me to have excel sum all the one letter codes into
individual cells and let me know the count?

Ie. (AAABBCDDDD) A=3, B=2, C=1, D=4
and have those sums placed in an individual cell for each?

Thanks for the help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Pookie76

Thanks again for all the help. It works perfectly.