Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary Brown

Default Pivot Table Grouping by Quarters

I have a pivot table, which has dates as one of the fields. I have
grouped these dates, by month and also by quaters.

Is there a way that when dates are grouped by quarters, you can select
which month is included in which quarter.

Excel defaults that January, February, March are Quater 1, April, May,
June are Quarter 2 and so on.

I want August, September, October as Quarter 1, November, December,
January as Quarter 2 and so on.

My data is coming from an Oracle database, so I can't do anything with
the source data, unless I use a decode function within the SQL query.

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Gary Brown
Gary Brown's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=17084

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
robert111

I suggest you create a lookup table and then any data will return the
quarter you require. You will only need 12 or 13 dates in a column eg
jan 1 feb 1 etc and in column 2 put appropriate quarter.

--
robert111
robert111's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31996

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I always use an extra column in the original data to return my adjusted quarter
numbers. But it sounds like you can't do that.

Gary Brown wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
steven1001

If the returned data set is less than 65k rows you could use 'get
external data' to extract the rows into a worksheet, create a new date
column and then build your pivot table from that worksheet's data. Use
the 'adjacent column formula' functionality to auto poulate the column
value

Here the default financial year starts on 1 July.
Using this as an example, add an extra column to the data with a value
of the real date plus 184 days. Then 1 July 2005 becomes 1 Jan 2006 in
the new column. The when you group by the date in the new column "Year
2006 Q1" would include all transactions with an original date between
1 July 05 and 30 Sept 05. Depending on how the date arithmetic works
out you may need to add months rather than days.

If you can get a change done to the Oracle view you can use syntax like
(dateAcct + 184) AS QuarterDate .. or the month equivalent .. to create
the relevant values in a new column in the view and then hit the data
directly.

regards..

--
steven1001