Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BrianH

Default Group & Outline and Recalculation

I recently upgraded from Excel 2000 to 2003
I use Group & Outline in large spreadsheets to facilitate navigation and
reduce clutter on the screen.
In 2000 this worked well, virtually instantaneously. In 2003 it seems to
generate a recalculation each time an outline is expanded or contracted - the
status bar shows "Calculating cells: 100%". The recalc time seems to be
related to the number of rows / columns affected, and / or the complexity of
the outline nesting, and by expansion more than contraction.
The larger the workbook and the longer the model's recalc time, the more
important the facility is to me, but the more tedious it becomes waiting for
it to happen, to the point that it's becoming more trouble than it's worth.

Does anybody know how to prevent the recalc? It doesn't respond to Escape
or any other keybard input - you just have to wait for it to do whatever it
is it's decided to do!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Charles Williams

Brian,

I think its caused by Excel 2003 triggering a recalc whenever a row is
hidden.

You should be able to partially solve the problem by switching to Manual
calculation mode.

Charles
______________________
Decision Models
FastExcel 2.2 Beta now available
www.DecisionModels.com

"BrianH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BrianH

Thanks. That works, but it's a nuisance!

Anyone know of anything else?

(And don't you just love the way each new version manages to eliminate at
least one useful feature from previouis versions and you have to find a new
work-around? At least, that's been my experince over the last 10 years or
so.)

BrianH

"BrianH" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
r.richie

Indeed it's a nuisance. Anyone any solution yet on getting the 2000 "way" of
recalculating back. (besides downgrading...)