Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brisbane Rob

Default Sumif with variable target

Column A has over a hundred different parts codes. The order of codes in
this can change from month to month.

Column C is a list of all the parts codes from all invoices in Janaury
with their sales value in Column D. These columns are a couple of
thousand lines long. Columns E through Z contain the rest of the months
of the year, with a list of parts codes off the invoices in the
respective months and their values.

If I want to find out the totals for the codes in say January I use a
sumif formula in column B. But if I want to find out the totals for
March I have to re-wrtie the formula. Is it possible to have the
formula look up the values from a month declared in cell A1?

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Brisbane Rob
Brisbane Rob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25096

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Presumably you have a formula currently in B2 something like

=SUMIF(C$2:C$2000,A2,D$2:D$2000)

assuming you have a date in A1 (i.e. for March 01/03/2006, format as
required, e.g. mmmm) then you could use this formula in B2 copied down
column

=SUMIF(INDEX(C$2:Y$2000,0,MONTH(A$1)*2-1),A2,INDEX(D$2:Z$2,MONTH(A$1)*2-1))

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brisbane Rob

Thanks a lot - your help's appreciated

--
Brisbane Rob
Brisbane Rob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25096
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=525440

How to use SUMIF to return sums between two values located in cells ScottBerger Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 23rd 23 09:05 PM
Aling multiple sets of data by header column MarkusO Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 April 12th 06 07:29 PM
SUMIF Ferg Excel Worksheet Functions 3 February 28th 06 03:37 AM
Return Numerical Label for LAST value Subtracted to reach Sum Target Value Sam via OfficeKB.com Excel Worksheet Functions 17 October 31st 05 01:46 PM
Do I need a sumif or sum of a vlookup formula? PeterB Excel Worksheet Functions 0 June 1st 05 12:23 PM