Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JeffSanders

Default Double-CLK open appends a number to filename

Whenever I double click an excel spread sheet, the filename has a 1
appended to the filename. If I save it, the next time it will have a
2, and so on. If I open excel and browse to the file, this does not
happen. Any ideas?

This is in a network enviroment using Windows Server 2003, a
workstation with Windows 2000, and Microsoft Office XP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--
JeffSanders
JeffSanders's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32649

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Saved from a previous post:
===========================

Are you opening a template file (*.xlt) or a normal workbook file (*.xls)?

If you're opening a template file, then this is the way excel works--so you
don't overwrite that template.

If you're opening an excel file, then excel/windows is confused.

It sounds like windows is using New as the default action when you doubleclick
on the filename in windows explorer.

If you right click on a *.xls file, you'll see a bunch of options--one will be
Open and one will be New. Open should be the bold (default) one.

I bet you'll see New in bold.

If that's the case, you can try this:

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Now try double clicking on that filename.

Did it work ok?

If yes, woohoo!

If no, you could manually change the default action.

Close excel
start windows explorer
tools|folder options|file types tab
scroll down to the xls extension (microsoft excel worksheet)
click the advanced button
click on the Open item in the Actions box
click set as default
(ok your way out)