Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin

Default Match Index Lookup

Hi - have done this in the past for unfortunately forget

I have a list of days in number format say from 365 in my table. I have set
up a list of then 12 mths so in excel I have in cell
A1 = 365, B1= 12mths
A2 = 335, B2 = 11mths
etc

I want to lookup a value in my table and match it to my list so that for
example if the value is 360, the lookup would go though my list and realise
that 360 is less than 365 and skip to next value and then look to cell A2 as
as 360 is above the value in A1 it returns the value in B2.

I think it is quite a simple match / index type lookup (where you have to
have you values in a list with the highest value first in the list)

All advice much appreciated thanks
--
Kevin
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ardus Petus

You must sort your lookup array in ascending order on column A1

Assuming the value you lookup is in C1 and your lookup array in A1:B99,
type:

=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B99,TRUE)

HTH
--