Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kerri

Default my numbers go from 99 and then skip to 1000's?

When I tell my excel sheet to sort it sorts correctly up to 99, but then
seems to recognise the 1000's as 100's because it then goes to the 1000's,
then puts the 200's after that etc....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Kerri" wrote:
When I tell my excel sheet to sort it sorts correctly up to 99, but then
seems to recognise the 1000's as 100's because it then goes to the 1000's,
then puts the 200's after that etc....

Probably text numbers .. try converting to real numbers:
Copy an empty cell in another col
(clear the cell with the Delete key first to be sure)
Then select the col of "numbers",
Right-click paste special check "add" ok
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kerri

Thanks very much, but it didn't work. The reason I don't think it's a text
problem is because all the other ones sort in order and I have SB in from of
them all ... in the same databse is House Bills and those are entered as HB
4044 4055 etc. and all those sort correctly, so it's just odd!!

"Max" wrote:

"Kerri" wrote:
When I tell my excel sheet to sort it sorts correctly up to 99, but then
seems to recognise the 1000's as 100's because it then goes to the 1000's,
then puts the 200's after that etc....

Probably text numbers .. try converting to real numbers:
Copy an empty cell in another col
(clear the cell with the Delete key first to be sure)
Then select the col of "numbers",
Right-click paste special check "add" ok
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Kerri" wrote:
Thanks very much, but it didn't work. The reason I don't think it's a

text
problem is because all the other ones sort in order and I have SB in from

of
them all ... in the same databse is House Bills and those are entered as

HB
4044 4055 etc. and all those sort correctly, so it's just odd!!

Ok, wrong guess earlier as to what you had <g

Think we need a helper col to sort

Assuming source data in A1 down such as:

HB 4044
SB 1000
SB 100
etc

Put in say, B1:
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(" ",A1))+0
Copy B1 down

Col B should return a col of real numbers stripped from col A

Now select cols A and B, and sort by col B ascending / descending