Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hango

Default Strange looking cell in Excel

Cell format problem, I believe. Somehow, one cell in my worksheet has a fat
line on top and left and the it is larger than the others with sides
protruding into the adjacent cells to the right, to the bottom and the lower
right corner. I do not know, how it got there, but all attempts to get rif of
it like delete, or copy another cell, failed. Also, on that one cell, the
right click does not function. When I right a number in it along with others
in that column and than sum it up, the number in that cell is ignored. What
is the purpose of this formatting, how did it get there and how can I deleate
it!
Thank you
Hango.
--
Hango

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
broro183

Hi Hango,

- It sounds like it is formatted as text (eg won't include # in a
sum).

When you tried to delete it "but all attempts to get rif of
it like delete, or copy another cell, failed." did you just use the
delete key on the keyboard?
Try using the menus: Edit - Clear - All or [alt + E + A + A]
The delete key is just clearing the contents, whereas the "clear all"
approach removes formatting, comments, & contents.
(Although, if this is the issue then copying another cell onto it
should have the same effect.)

Is the sheet protected?
If so, try unprotecting the sheet & then using "clear all".

hth
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Hango

Thank you.
I do not know if it was formated as text, I certainly did not programm it
that way. I was able to erase it with the toolbox. I still do not know how
this came about and what the purpose of it is.
Greetings

--
Hango

"Hango" wrote:

Cell format problem, I believe. Somehow, one cell in my worksheet has a fat
line on top and left and the it is larger than the others with sides
protruding into the adjacent cells to the right, to the bottom and the lower
right corner. I do not know, how it got there, but all attempts to get rif of
it like delete, or copy another cell, failed. Also, on that one cell, the
right click does not function. When I right a number in it along with others
in that column and than sum it up, the number in that cell is ignored. What
is the purpose of this formatting, how did it get there and how can I deleate
it!
Thank you
Hango.
--
Hango

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
broro183

Hi Hango,
Thanks for the feedback, pleased I could help.