Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
borisimo

Default XBRL and Excel?

Is it possible to open an XBRL file in Excel 2003? If so, how do I do it?
Assume the XBRL taxonomy and instrance document are in place.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Here is Microsoft's take on the subject:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/show...l/default.mspx

Alternatively, a Google search for XBRL and Excel will turn up various
possibilities.

Bill
-----------------------------------
"borisimo" wrote in message
Is it possible to open an XBRL file in Excel 2003? If so, how do I do it?
Assume the XBRL taxonomy and instrance document are in place.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
borisimo

Bill,

Thank you for the link. It is partially helpful. However, to be more
specific, in particular I am interested in the statement from that link which
says:

"An XBRL solution could automatically import data into Excel 2003 analysis
models, removing the need for data re-entry and reducing the potential for
errors...With XBRL, this information can be pulled directly into the exact
place in the models where it is needed."

It is not at all clear to me, nor can I find a definitive statement, which
tells me whether the above can be achieved using standard Excel 2003
functionality (presumably the XML functionality) or whether I need to code
using Visual Basic, to get Excel to recognise and import an XBRL file. I've
tried the standard XML functionality and it doesn't appear to recognise XBRL
taxnomies or instances.

I've tried the Google search suggested but have only found information on
creating an XBRL file using Excel. This is not what I am interested in. I
am interested in whether and how Excel can consume and render an already
existing XBRL file for analysis purposes.

In short, is there existing Excel functionality that allows me to import an
XBRL file into an Excel spreadsheet? And if not, why not? It seems to
significantly reduce the value of XBRL if it's not easily possible.

Thanks.

"borisimo" wrote in message
Is it possible to open an XBRL file in Excel 2003? If so, how do I do it?
Assume the XBRL taxonomy and instrance document are in place.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

My understanding of the web pages (which may well be wrong) indicates that
Microsoft was telling you to buy add on software if you need that
capability. And they gave you two third party vendors who supply it. And
if you go to the one vendor's web page (I can't remember which at the
moment) they give away a lite version free and sell a higher function
version.

If I were you, I'd just download the free software and try it to get a
better understanding of what it does and whether it addresses your need.

Bill