-   -   additional plus sign (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/77159-additional-plus-sign.html)

smiths4

additional plus sign

Can anyone help me figure this out? Sometimes when you have a formula in a
cell.
And you click back on the formula in the formula bar, it shows ie. =+F5-C3.
What does that plus sign represent between the = and the first cell reference?

Dave Peterson

additional plus sign

Formulas in Lotus 123 were sometimes started with +'s. It's a holdover from a
former Lotus user. Doesn't help and just clutters the formula in excel.

--

Dave Peterson

Gary''s Student

additional plus sign

It does nothing:

=F5-C3
is the same as
=+F5-C3
is the same as
=++++++++++++F5-C3

--
Gary's Student

"smiths4" wrote:

Can anyone help me figure this out? Sometimes when you have a formula in a
cell.
And you click back on the formula in the formula bar, it shows ie. =+F5-C3.
What does that plus sign represent between the = and the first cell reference?

smiths4

additional plus sign

Thank you both for your repsonses.