Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pd

Default Macro problem in Excel

Hello folks. Cant say that I know much about macros. I am a computer support
technician trying to help someone who also does not have a strong
understanding of macros. I'll get right to it. The way this was explained to
me was that a macro was created in excel file #1. I am told that (and I have
observed this) when you open excel file #1 and excel file #2 (no macro
created in #2) and then go back to file #1 and click tools macro macros
you should see the name of the macro created already there and you should
just be able to click the "run". But the name of the macro is not there and
the "run" button is greyed out. Again, this is how I am told it is supposed
to work. Does that seem right? I am told that for some reason that Excel is
not recognizing that file #1 has macros. I have opened those same files on 2
other machines with Excel 2003 and achived the same results. The only machine
that this works on is the original machine where the macro was created which
also has excel 2003. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Please do
not be hesitant to take me to beginners level on this. Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Just a guess...

When you open both files are you sure that they are both open in the same
instance of excel? I'd open the first (any way you want), but then use
File|open to open the second. Don't double click on it in windows explorer.

Another way to check to see if both workbooks are open in the same instance.
Click on Window and notice the files that are listed at the bottom of that
dropdown. If you see one (but not the other) when you do it from both
workbooks, then it sounds like you have multiple instances of excel running.

If you want to change the behavior when you double click on a file in windows
explorer so that it'll open in the existing running instance...

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Duane Reynolds

My Guess since it only works on the original machine that wrote the macro is
the macro got stored in the personnel.xls workbook instead if spreadsheet 1.

Duane