Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve

Default Can't lock down a defined name list - help!

I have an excel sheet that the first column contains drop downs to select a
code from another tab. I used Insert / Name / Define to choose the list.

I have tried to lock every cell and protect the sheet and every cell works
fine except where I have the drop downs. What is odd is that even the drop
down cells are locked on my Excel (2003) but when I email it to my client
(uses Excel 2000) it is not locked and he can click the drop down and choose
codes.

Please help - thanks!

-Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Protection changed its behavior in xl2003 (or was it in xl2002???).

You have to unlock that cell in xl2003.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve

What do you mean "have to unlock that cell in xl2003"? Its locked on my
version (2003) but when I send it to my client its not locked on his version
(2000).

He wants to email that file to his customers but I can't afford for the
protection to be hit or miss. How do I ensure that it is locked/protected in
all versions from 2000 on?

And why would it lock everything except that column (where the drop downs
are)??? Is there something different I can do?

Thanks!

Steve wrote:

I have an excel sheet that the first column contains drop downs to select a
code from another tab. I used Insert / Name / Define to choose the list.

I have tried to lock every cell and protect the sheet and every cell works
fine except where I have the drop downs. What is odd is that even the drop
down cells are locked on my Excel (2003) but when I email it to my client
(uses Excel 2000) it is not locked and he can click the drop down and choose
codes.

Please help - thanks!

-Steve

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I would guess that the cell is still locked in xl2k.

But excel's behavior changed. In xl2k, cells with data|validation could change
a locked cell. In xl2003, it can't.

So you can just unlock those cells (format|Cells|Protection tab).

Steve wrote:

I have an excel sheet that the first column contains drop downs to select a
code from another tab. I used Insert / Name / Define to choose the list.

I have tried to lock every cell and protect the sheet and every cell works
fine except where I have the drop downs. What is odd is that even the drop
down cells are locked on my Excel (2003) but when I email it to my client
(uses Excel 2000) it is not locked and he can click the drop down and choose
codes.

Please help - thanks!

-Steve

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Steve

But I need them locked.

So is there no way to lock those cells in xl2k???

Is there another way of doing a drop down list that would be able to be
locked in xl2k?

Thanks!

Steve wrote:

I have an excel sheet that the first column contains drop downs to select a
code from another tab. I used Insert / Name / Define to choose the list.

I have tried to lock every cell and protect the sheet and every cell works
fine except where I have the drop downs. What is odd is that even the drop
down cells are locked on my Excel (2003) but when I email it to my client
(uses Excel 2000) it is not locked and he can click the drop down and choose
codes.

Please help - thanks!

-Steve

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Doesn't your data|validation stop users from entering invalid data?

Why would you need the cell locked if you have data|validation protecting it?