Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

Default Need help modifying a macro

I use the following macro to create a duplicate sheet.

Sheets("ICS 214").Select
Sheets("ICS 214").Copy Befo=Sheets(2)
'
End Sub

The problem is it copies the user inputted data from the first sheet rather
than giving me a blank section. How can I modify the macro so it will
automatically delete info in a range of cells such as d29-d46 on the newly
created sheet?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

see examples on my sheet.htm page, of course you would want to do error
checking.

'Copy the active worksheet to just before the currently active sheet [copy sheet]
ActiveSheet.Copy Befo=ActiveSheet
'Copy the active worksheet to after the last worksheet
ActiveSheet.Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)'Rename current Sheet
ActiveSheet.Name = "Renamed14a"'delete constants, retaining formulas in the range d29-d46
Range(D29:D46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents---HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001]My
Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htmSearch Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm
"EAHRENS" wrote in message ...
I use the following macro to create a duplicate sheet.

Sheets("ICS 214").Select
Sheets("ICS 214").Copy Befo=Sheets(2)
'
End Sub

The problem is it copies the user inputted data from the first sheet rather
than giving me a blank section. How can I modify the macro so it will
automatically delete info in a range of cells such as

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

retaining formulas in the range d29-d46
Range(D29:D46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

I am sure I am doing something wrong. The macro I am running now reads:
Sub ICS214()
'
' ICS214 Macro
' Macro recorded 10/5/2005 by Eric Ahrens
'
'Copy the active worksheet to just before the currently active sheet [copy
sheet]
ActiveSheet.Copy Befo=ActiveSheet
'Copy the active worksheet to after the last worksheet
ActiveSheet.Copy After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count) 'Rename current Sheet
ActiveSheet.Name = "Renamed14a" 'delete constants, retaining formulas in
the range d29-d46
Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

'
End Sub

When I run it, I get a syntax error message highlighting:

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

What am I doing wrong?

"David McRitchie" wrote:

retaining formulas in the range d29-d46
Range(D29:D46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

You need the range addresses within double quotes.
Range("D29:d46").
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message news:46FF8DDC-9AEA-43E2-BCB0-

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

You are a genius. Thanks for your patience. I would like to bother you for
one more thing. The macro will now create a second page as needed. If I
then try to create an additional (page 3 or more) copy, I get an error
message about duplicate names although the duplicates are created. The
application I am using this for can require numerous copies of these forms.
How can I get around the duplicate name message?

"David McRitchie" wrote:

You need the range addresses within double quotes.
Range("D29:d46").
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message news:46FF8DDC-9AEA-43E2-BCB0-

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Eric,
Didn't realize that code without the quotes was from me,

Renaming sheets within a macro is going to be problematic.
You could intercept the error and try again, or ignore it keeping the
name assigned by Excel and manually change it later.

Possibly you could name your sheets
so that they are guaranteed to be unique with a
date and timestamp format yyyy-mm-dd-mmss
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm

HTH,

"David McRitchie" wrote:

You need the range addresses within double quotes.
Range("D29:d46").
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message news:46FF8DDC-9AEA-43E2-BCB0-

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

Can they be set up so they keep the same name but just add copy2 copy3 etc to
the end of the name?

"David McRitchie" wrote:

You need the range addresses within double quotes.
Range("D29:d46").
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message news:46FF8DDC-9AEA-43E2-BCB0-

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Erik,
actually that would be close to the default which might be acceptable
if not you can do the rename as previously mentioned, but you would have
to test for error or test beforehand for preexistence..

Edit, Move or Copy Sheet, create a copy

or the same in a recorded macro (I would change Before to After)

Sub Macro2()
Sheets("new_work").Copy Befo=Sheets(1)
End Sub

original sheet: New_Work
copied sheet: New_Work (2)

---
HTH,

"David McRitchie" wrote:

You need the range addresses within double quotes.
Range("D29:d46").
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message news:46FF8DDC-9AEA-43E2-BCB0-

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

Thanks, That helped and got rid of the error message. I thought I was done
and got a new problem. The sheet I am trying to copy is protected. The
range I want to delete is not. The macro won't allow the deletion to occur
if the sheet is protected at all. Is there a way around this? Is is
possible to have the macro turn off the protection, copy and delete and then
turn itself back on? Is there a better way? I really appreciate your help
on this. If it helps, I pasted what I have currently entered below.

Sub ICS214()
'

"David McRitchie" wrote:

You need the range addresses within double quotes.
Range("D29:d46").
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message news:46FF8DDC-9AEA-43E2-BCB0-

Range(D29:d46).SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCont ents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Eric,
Yes record a macro, turning off protection using the password, and
turn protection on with the password. The password will be seen by
anyone looking at the macro. Passwords are more to prevent accidents
than theft.

There may be an option that allows you to do things in a macro that
are not allowed to be done manually, but I don't play with passwords.
---
HTH,

"EAHRENS" wrote in message ...
Thanks, That helped and got rid of the error message. I thought I was done
and got a new problem. The sheet I am trying to copy is protected. The
range I want to delete is not. The macro won't allow the deletion to occur
if the sheet is protected at all. Is there a way around this? Is is
possible to have the macro turn off the protection, copy and delete and then
turn itself back on? Is there a better way? I really appreciate your help
on this. If it helps, I pasted what I have currently entered below.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

Thanks, My concern is only inadvertent modification and I am not using a
password.

It took me a few tries, but I made it create a name and clear the proper
range on the second sheet. Unfortunbately it left the protection off of the
original. I added a line to add it back to the original.. All I need to know
how to do is after it adds the protection back onto the original, how can I
make it then go to the newly copied sheet?

I am now using the following macro:

Sub ICS214()
'
' ICS214 Macro
' Macro recorded 10/5/2005 by Eric Ahrens

'Copy the active worksheet to after the last worksheet
Sheets("ICS 214").Select

Sheets("ICS 214").Copy befo=Sheets(2)
ActiveSheet.Unprotect
'delete constants, retaining formulas in the range "d29-d46"
Range("D29:d46").SpecialCells(xlConstants).ClearCo ntents
ActiveSheet.Protect DrawingObjects:=True, Contents:=True, Scenarios:=True
Sheets("ICS 214").Select

"EAHRENS" wrote in message ...
Thanks, That helped and got rid of the error message. I thought I was done
and got a new problem. The sheet I am trying to copy is protected. The
range I want to delete is not. The macro won't allow the deletion to occur
if the sheet is protected at all. Is there a way around this? Is is
possible to have the macro turn off the protection, copy and delete and then
turn itself back on? Is there a better way? I really appreciate your help
on this. If it helps, I pasted what I have currently entered below.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EAHRENS

Disregard my last request. I was able to make it work. Thanks very much for
your help with this.

"EAHRENS" wrote in message ...
Thanks, That helped and got rid of the error message. I thought I was done
and got a new problem. The sheet I am trying to copy is protected. The
range I want to delete is not. The macro won't allow the deletion to occur
if the sheet is protected at all. Is there a way around this? Is is
possible to have the macro turn off the protection, copy and delete and then
turn itself back on? Is there a better way? I really appreciate your help
on this. If it helps, I pasted what I have currently entered below.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

good, some boilerplate code for coding involving sheets (not passwords) is in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sheets.htm

"EAHRENS" wrote