Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Equation to refer to data value(s) and not the cell??

hi, i'm trying to have a cell reference in an equation following a
moving data point ...

Assumption #1 - column A has data A1=1, A2=5, A3=3
Assumption #2 - column B has an equation referring to the "3" in A3

Goal - to have my equation follow the data point "3"

Initially - my equation refers to cell A3 (where the value "3" is
located)

Interaction - I **sort** column A so that the data is ascending order,
i.e., A1=1, A2=3, A3=5

Problem - my equation still refers to cell A3 (i.e., value is now 5,
originally was 3). I want the equation to refer to wherever my data
point went (i.e., to refer to whatever cell the 3 is sorted to, in this
case A2).

Corollary - if i change the data point e.g., to 7, then re-sort, i'd
like the equation to automatically refer to the 7, no matter where it's
re-sorted to

It is possible to have an equation refer to a moving data point or
cell? How to? Thanks in advance,

Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Biff

Hi!

What's your formula look like? What's the significance of the "data point"?

Biff

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming
Max

See responses to your other post in .newusers
(Pl do not multi-post)
--
Max
Singapore