Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JBasch

Default Extract characters from a cell

I am trying to extra to extract certain characters from a cell. I know
this should be easy, but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how.
Each cell has a different amount of characters, and I want the 1st
character and the 5th character from the end. Here are a couple
examples:

dinosaur -- do
minneapolis -- mp

Please help,
Thanks

--
JBasch
JBasch's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32329

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

JB,

=LEFT(A1,1) & MID(A1,LEN(A1)-4,1)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"JBasch" wrote in
message ...

I am trying to extra to extract certain characters from a cell. I know
this should be easy, but I am having a lot of trouble figuring out how.
Each cell has a different amount of characters, and I want the 1st
character and the 5th character from the end. Here are a couple
examples:

dinosaur -- do
minneapolis -- mp

Please help,