Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Millerk

Default Help w/ formula

I have a workbook with two sheets, one is the master list and the second has
statistical data reflected from sheet one. I'm entering the formula below
into the cell on sheet 2 and it's giving me the formula written out in the
cell instead of doing the calculation. I've looked at cell format and just
can't see what I'm missing that's causing this to occur. Any help?

=COUNTIF('Students Taught'!C2:C2001,"ab")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Format that cell as General--or any number format, but Text.

Then select the cell
hit F2 and then enter.

If that doesn't work, try:
tools|options|view tab.
Make sure formulas is not checked.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Millerk

Dave,

Thanks a million, this worked like a charm. What does the F2 and enter do
though?

Millerk wrote:

I have a workbook with two sheets, one is the master list and the second has
statistical data reflected from sheet one. I'm entering the formula below
into the cell on sheet 2 and it's giving me the formula written out in the
cell instead of doing the calculation. I've looked at cell format and just
can't see what I'm missing that's causing this to occur. Any help?

=COUNTIF('Students Taught'!C2:C2001,"ab")

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

F2 tells excel that you want to edit the cell. Enter tells excel you're done.

It's just a quick way to reenter the formula -- without actually typing it.

Millerk wrote:

I have a workbook with two sheets, one is the master list and the second has
statistical data reflected from sheet one. I'm entering the formula below
into the cell on sheet 2 and it's giving me the formula written out in the
cell instead of doing the calculation. I've looked at cell format and just
can't see what I'm missing that's causing this to occur. Any help?

=COUNTIF('Students Taught'!C2:C2001,"ab")

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MillerK

Thanks again for the answer and quick response. Learn something new
everyday. Maybe you can help me with another question I had regarding a
SUMPRODUCT formula I was working with. The stats sheet breaks down students
taught by each discipline. For example, the formula below computes the
number of students taught Anti-Terrorism Lvl II by the security forces.

=SUMPRODUCT(--('Students Taught'!$E$2:$E$2001="sf"),--('Students
Taught'!$F$2:$F$2001="at lvl ii"))

What I'm trying to do is create a formula that will also tell me how many
courses they have taught. The courses are broken down on the master list by
class number (i.e. 06-01, 06-02, etc.). It will have to be similar to the
formula above since class numbers are the same for Evaluator and Instructor
classes. Meaning the first evaluator course is 06-01 and the first
instructor course is 06-01 as well.