Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bvandijk

Default Can I reference a cell based on value in other cell?

Hi there,

So for instance I have data in A1:A:10
I type a number in cell B1, say 3

Now I want cell C1 to contain A3+5

but when I chance B1 to 4, C1 should change to A4+5

in other words the fomulea in C1 has a reference that depends on
another cell (a pointer if you wish).

Thanks heaps!
Bas

--
bvandijk
bvandijk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32300

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Try something like this in C1:
=INDIRECT("A"&B1)+5

Andy.

"bvandijk" wrote in
message ...

Hi there,

So for instance I have data in A1:A:10
I type a number in cell B1, say 3

Now I want cell C1 to contain A3+5

but when I chance B1 to 4, C1 should change to A4+5

in other words the fomulea in C1 has a reference that depends on
another cell (a pointer if you wish).

Thanks heaps!
Bas

--
bvandijk
bvandijk's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bvandijk

Great ! it works.

--
bvandijk
bvandijk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32300
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bvandijk

It works great but I have another problem now: when the target cell is
empty, the formuleau returns '0' instead of an empty cell.

Any hints on that?

Thanks!
Bas

--
bvandijk
bvandijk's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32300
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=520570

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here you go:

=IF(INDIRECT("A"&B1)=0,"",INDIRECT("A"&B1))

Andy.

"bvandijk" wrote in
message ...