-   -   Working with Strings (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/76004-working-strings.html)

joe

Working with Strings

I have a column which has names. I would like to split it by Last, First and
Middle Names. Can some one help me do it.

kevindmorgan

Working with Strings

You can use Text to Columns: DataText to Columns.

Assuming there is a space between names, choose "delimited" and "space"
when running the wizard.

You will probably have to "clean up" a bit with a few names that have
"Jr.", etc.

Hope it helped!

--
kevindmorgan
kevindmorgan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32232

Sloth

Working with Strings

Depends on the format of the names. Here are two examples that might help
you. If you need something else, then list how the names are inputted.

John Joe Smith
- Can be seperated with Date-Text To Columns. Select Delimited, and then
select a space as the delimiter.
- You can also use helper columns with the following formulas
=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1)-1)
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1+FIND(" ",A1)))

Smith, John Joe
- Can be seperated with the following formulas
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1)-FIND(" ",A1)-1)
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1+FIND(" ",A1)))

If you use the formulas, you can copy and paste special selecting values.
This will replace the formulas with the result of the formulas.