Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Ruderman - Chapman University

Default Pivot table formatting

There are many times where I need to take Excel data and do a pivot table,
then do another pivot table from that data (summarize the data, and then do a
pivot on the summarized data)

Is there a way to do a pivot table where each repeat value prints? For
example, if person 1 has 2 values, person 2 has 3 values, person 3 has 1
value, I would like to display:

Person Value
1 1
1 2
2 1
2 2
2 3
3 1

Right now the data displays as:

Person Value
1 1
2
2 1
2
3
3 1

--
David Ruderman
Director of Marketing
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you convert the pivottable to values
(select the whole thing edit|copy, edit|paste special|values)
Then you can do whatever you want to the data.

(You may want to do this to a copy of the pivottable so you can still use that
pivottable.)

Then you could use some techniques at Debra Dalgleish's site to fill those empty
cells with the value above:
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

David Ruderman - Chapman University wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Ruderman - Chapman University

I was never aware that one could fill as you described. That's great to
know. I'll give it a try.

So, there's no way to format pivot tables to repeat values? Any chance this
will be in the next release?

Thank you.
--
David Ruderman
Director of Marketing

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

There's no way that I've seen to fill those cells and keep the pivottable.

This is the best source I've seen for new stuff in the next version:
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx