Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BrianW

Default Why doen't PasteSpecial, Formulas not display formula in cell?

I want to paste the formul's from a cell into another cell. Other
spreadsheet programs allow this for a single cell. I'm aware of paste
special , select formula button but the value is displayed. I can make this
work by copying the text in a fourmul and preceeding the past in another cell
with a ', but this is very cumbersom when I have to do it hundreds of times
in a column, and the result is not associative with the source.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bpeltzer

PasteSpecial, Formulas is intended to paste ONLY the formulas; that is, it
excludes formatting, comments, validation, etc. If you want to see the
formula in another cell, you can paste and then add the ' in front as you
described. OR, to see all the formulas, go to the menu bar and select Tools
Options, click on the View tab and select Formulas (a shortcut to toggle

this option is ctrl+~).

"BrianW" wrote:

I want to paste the formul's from a cell into another cell. Other
spreadsheet programs allow this for a single cell. I'm aware of paste
special , select formula button but the value is displayed. I can make this
work by copying the text in a fourmul and preceeding the past in another cell
with a ', but this is very cumbersom when I have to do it hundreds of times
in a column, and the result is not associative with the source.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Brian,
You can use a User Defined Function to display the formula used in another cell
see the GetForumla user defined function in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/formula.htm
this way you don't have to keep copying and pasting as text if you change things
because you will be picking up the formula actually in use.

---
HTH,