Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nick

Default DAT to XLS

Hi,

I have a Dat file which need to be pput in to excel. I know the # of
characters( different for each cell) that need to go in every cell and even
the # of colums the data has to go in to. So instead of doing the fixed
length, which takes a lot of time is there any function or program that i cld
use to convert the data in to excel by providing the conditions like 1st cell
i need 3 charactars from the dat file and the next 4 in 2nd and next 3 in 3
etc
EXAMPLE:
DAT file is in the format
11113333444455556666

I want this to be put in excel in the format:
1st cell with 4char: 1111
2nd cell with 3: 333
3rd with 5: 34444

Etc........please help as this is very urgent. Thanks. I hope i framed the Q
right and understandable
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

So instead of doing the fixed | length,

I don't know what that means but the Text Import Wizard should pop up when
you open the file in Excel. You would choose 'fixed width' and then where
the breaks are.

--
Jim
"nick" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a Dat file which need to be pput in to excel. I know the # of
| characters( different for each cell) that need to go in every cell and
even
| the # of colums the data has to go in to. So instead of doing the fixed
| length, which takes a lot of time is there any function or program that i
cld
| use to convert the data in to excel by providing the conditions like 1st
cell
| i need 3 charactars from the dat file and the next 4 in 2nd and next 3 in
3
| etc
| EXAMPLE:
| DAT file is in the format
| 11113333444455556666
|
| I want this to be put in excel in the format:
| 1st cell with 4char: 1111
| 2nd cell with 3: 333
| 3rd with 5: 34444
|
| Etc........please help as this is very urgent. Thanks. I hope i framed the
| right and understandable

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nick

I am sorry i meant fixed width in the text import wizard. the problem with
this is 1 row is gonna be split in to 130 colums with a fixed character
length in each cell of every column. So i was lookin for an alternative.
Thanks for your help

"nick" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have a Dat file which need to be pput in to excel. I know the # of
| characters( different for each cell) that need to go in every cell and
even
| the # of colums the data has to go in to. So instead of doing the fixed
| length, which takes a lot of time is there any function or program that i
cld
| use to convert the data in to excel by providing the conditions like 1st
cell
| i need 3 charactars from the dat file and the next 4 in 2nd and next 3 in
3
| etc
| EXAMPLE:
| DAT file is in the format
| 11113333444455556666
|
| I want this to be put in excel in the format:
| 1st cell with 4char: 1111
| 2nd cell with 3: 333
| 3rd with 5: 34444
|
| Etc........please help as this is very urgent. Thanks. I hope i framed the
| right and understandable

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MrShorty

So you need to import a text file.
Row 1 needs to be parsed in one way.
Rows 2+ need to be parsed a different way.

I think I would do it like this:
1) Import file, placing column breaks where you want the 1st row
parsed.
2) Delete rows 2+
3) Import file again, placing column breaks where you want rows 2+
parsed and tell it to start import at row 2. Be sure to place the
imported file in the row below where you put the first row.

Will that work?

--
MrShorty
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181