Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Greg

Default Little more help needed for my IF formula

All your help is perfect. Except I want one more piece of the puzzle. I
only want the data from A15 if it starts with an H or P. Is there something
needed if it's a false statement. If it's false I want to return it blank.

"Sloth" wrote:

=IF(OR(LEFT(Summary!A15,1)="H",LEFT(Summary!A15,1) ="P"),Summary!A15,"")

you had some eraneous "=". Also, the wildcard can't be used in this manner.

"Greg" wrote:

This is my formula =IF(=OR(Summary!A15<"H*",Summary!A15<"P*"),=Summ ary!A15))

What I want to do is if the cell starts with the Letter H or P than I want
to return that cell as the true statment. If not than nothing. What am I
doing wrong. Somebody please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

All your help is perfect. Except I want one more piece of the puzzle. I
only want the data from A15 if it starts with an H or P. Is there
something
needed if it's a false statement. If it's false I want to return it
blank.

=IF(OR(LEFT(Summary!A15,1)="H",LEFT(Summary!A15,1) ="P"),Summary!A15,"")

That's exactly what the formula is doing. It could be shortened a little:

=IF(OR(LEFT(Summary!A15)={"H","P"}),Summary!A15,"" )

Biff

"Greg" wrote:

This is my formula
=IF(=OR(Summary!A15<"H*",Summary!A15<"P*"),=Summ ary!A15))

What I want to do is if the cell starts with the Letter H or P than I
want
to return that cell as the true statment. If not than nothing. What
am I
doing wrong. Somebody please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

The FALSE condition is already in place to return a blank. That is the
double quotes "" at the end. Is it not working?

"Greg" wrote:

This is my formula =IF(=OR(Summary!A15<"H*",Summary!A15<"P*"),=Summ ary!A15))

What I want to do is if the cell starts with the Letter H or P than I want
to return that cell as the true statment. If not than nothing. What am I
doing wrong. Somebody please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

=IF(OR(LEFT(SUMMARY!A15,1)="H",LEFT(SUMMARY!A15,1) ="P"),SUMMARY!A15,"")

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Greg" wrote:

This is my formula =IF(=OR(Summary!A15<"H*",Summary!A15<"P*"),=Summ ary!A15))

What I want to do is if the cell starts with the Letter H or P than I want
to return that cell as the true statment. If not than nothing. What am I
doing wrong. Somebody please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Just to confirm what's been said already... The formula already outputs a
blank if the statement is false. Without the "" at the end, the formula
would output FALSE. But it should be noted that you can NOT use the ISBLANK
formula to check if it's blank. You will have to use something like this

=IF(B15="","do true","do false")

I hope this helps.