Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
student

Default Please advise on length addition!

Can someone advise on how to add length in Excel, for example, I need to add
5 ft 8 in and 7 ft 9 in. I want an answer to be also in feet and inches.

Gladly appreciate!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Have a read of Chip's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FeetInches.htm

It gets a bit complex but it should set you off in the right direction!
Hope this helps.
Andy.

"student" wrote in message
Can someone advise on how to add length in Excel, for example, I need to
add
5 ft 8 in and 7 ft 9 in. I want an answer to be also in feet and inches.

Gladly appreciate!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

See the DOLLARDE and DOLLARFR functions in help.

=DOLLARFR(DOLLARDE(5.08,12)+DOLLARDE(7.09,12),12)

returns 13.05. These functions are part of the Analysis ToolPak
add-in, so you'll need to have that add-in loaded. Go to the
Tools menu, choose Add-Ins, and check Analysis ToolPak in the
list of available addins.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"student" wrote in message
Can someone advise on how to add length in Excel, for example,
I need to add
5 ft 8 in and 7 ft 9 in. I want an answer to be also in feet
and inches.

Gladly appreciate!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

In addition to Chips's excellent method, you could enter (in A1) 5 8/12 and
(in A2) 7 9/12
In A3 enter =A1+A2
To keep Excel from rationalizing fractions like 8/12 to 2/3, format the cell
as # ??/12

--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme