Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

Default Limited fraction cell format

Hi, I would like to format cells to show a decimal as a fraction.
However I want the fraction to be only selected ones. Ex: if the
decimal is 4.6719 I want to show 4 11/16 NOT 4 43/64. I want the
fractions to round up to the nearest 16th, 8th, 4th or half. Is there a
way to do this?
Thanks,
Lisa

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Toppers

Lisa,
FormatCells==Fractions .... allows you to select 16th/8th etc

"vencopbrass" wrote:

Hi, I would like to format cells to show a decimal as a fraction.
However I want the fraction to be only selected ones. Ex: if the
decimal is 4.6719 I want to show 4 11/16 NOT 4 43/64. I want the
fractions to round up to the nearest 16th, 8th, 4th or half. Is there a
way to do this?
Thanks,
Lisa

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516876

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

yes that's true but I want it to be either 1/4, or 3/8, or 5/16, etc...
based on what the decimal is. This is for fabrication and I can't tell
the shop to make something that is 5.7659 inches. I would tell them 5
13/16" which in decimal form is 5.8125. See? The cell would need to
round up to the nearest 16th or 8th or 4th or 2nd. I don't know how to
custom format cells. But using hte formats given I would have to make
it either 16th or 8th etc but not all.
Lisa

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516876

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

=MROUND(A1,1/16)

FormatCellsNumber tabCustom
In the Type box, enter:

# ??/??

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"vencopbrass"
wrote in message

Hi, I would like to format cells to show a decimal as a fraction.
However I want the fraction to be only selected ones. Ex: if the
decimal is 4.6719 I want to show 4 11/16 NOT 4 43/64. I want the
fractions to round up to the nearest 16th, 8th, 4th or half. Is there a
way to do this?
Thanks,
Lisa

--