Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to temp'ly suspend "edit in cell"?

When I edit a cell, if the formula is wider than the column
(often the case), the formula-in-progress overlays cells to
the right. That is problematic when I want to reference an
overlaid cell. I cannot simply put click on the referenced cell.

On solution is to disable Tools Options Edit "Edit
directly in cell". Thus, cell editing causes the content to
shift left while typing. But that is normally disconcerting for
us claustrophobes and myopic individuals who do not want
to keep one eye on the "fx" window while typing.

The point is: normally I do want to enable "Edit directly in
cell". I simply want to disable it (and perhaps re-enable it)
"on the fly" when I discover that I need to reference an
overlaid cell in a formula.

Is there a simple way to accomplish while in cell-editing mode?
Or must I think ahead and toggle the option manually?