Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kdoggity

Default Associated Numerical Values

I'm trying to create a formula that references two cells. In each of the
cells is a drop down box with three options. The options aren't numbers. Is
there a way to associate values to those options so that the formula will
result in a numerical total?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kdoggity

that's not working. perhaps I'm not entering it correctly. I'll tell you
what I've got. Cell D5 has a drop down with A,B,C. Cell E5 has a drop down
with the same thing, A,B,C. I want A to equal 15, B to equal 20, and C to
equal 30. I want Cell F5 to equal the sum of D5, and E5. Is that possible?
Thanks!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=MATCH(A1,{"a","b","c"},0)+MATCH(A2,{"x","y","z"}, 0)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"kdoggity" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a formula that references two cells. In each of the
cells is a drop down box with three options. The options aren't numbers.

Is
there a way to associate values to those options so that the formula will
result in a numerical total?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

=VLOOKUP(A1,{"A",15;"B",20;"C",30},2,FALSE)+VLOOKU P(A2,{"A",15;"B",20;"C",30
},2,FALSE)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"kdoggity" wrote in message
that's not working. perhaps I'm not entering it correctly. I'll tell you
what I've got. Cell D5 has a drop down with A,B,C. Cell E5 has a drop

down
with the same thing, A,B,C. I want A to equal 15, B to equal 20, and C to
equal 30. I want Cell F5 to equal the sum of D5, and E5. Is that

possible?
Thanks!

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=MATCH(A1,{"a","b","c"},0)+MATCH(A2,{"x","y","z"}, 0)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips