Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
publisher 2003 user

Default how do I automatically put square brackets around field name...

Hi. I'm trying to simply copy a list of names from column A then paste them
into column B but when the names appear in column B they are surrounded by
square brackets []. I'm fairly new to Excel so please forgive me if this is a
stupidly simple thing to do!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
TrevorM

Hi

="["&A1&"]"

where a1 is the cell reference

"publisher 2003 user" wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to simply copy a list of names from column A then paste them
into column B but when the names appear in column B they are surrounded by
square brackets []. I'm fairly new to Excel so please forgive me if this is a
stupidly simple thing to do!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

What version of Excel are you using?.....and give us the exact steps you are
doing to perform the copy and paste...........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"publisher 2003 user" wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to simply copy a list of names from column A then paste them
into column B but when the names appear in column B they are surrounded by
square brackets []. I'm fairly new to Excel so please forgive me if this is a
stupidly simple thing to do!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
publisher 2003 user

Yes got that to work but how do I copy several names across - say I have
names in A1, A2, A3, A4 etc going down to say A145! do I have to change the
formula ="["&A1&"]" to include all the other rows, if you get what I mean or
have I got to do something else?

As a second question what would be the formula for putting quotation marks
around the field - I tried ="""&A1&""" but didn't work.

I'm using excel 2003, and just highlighting the A column with mouse, copy
then highlight column B, paste, to complete move (to answer CLR's question)

"publisher 2003 user" wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to simply copy a list of names from column A then paste them
into column B but when the names appear in column B they are surrounded by
square brackets []. I'm fairly new to Excel so please forgive me if this is a
stupidly simple thing to do!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

The easy one first:
=""""&A1&""""
or
=char(34)&a1&char(34)

char(34) is the quotation mark.

You can use the autofill button on the lower right corner of the activecell (b1)
and click and drag that down the column. Your formula will adjust for each
cell.

Debra Dalgleish has instructions with pictures:
http://contextures.com/xlDataEntry01.html#Mouse

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
publisher 2003 user

Give this man a fat cigar!!!! Great just what I was after, many many thanks
Dave for answering my question.

Mike