Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
rammstein

Default CSV File and Maintaining Quotation Marks in TXT

Hi, I've currently got this problem at work - any help would be
appreciated.

I've exported a CSV file of payer information from one of our systems
with the plan of being able to manipulate this data and import back. It
only allows the choice of saving it as a txt file which i do. When I
open this in notepad the charactors appear somewhat like this (I'm
going from memory here):

, "0027892", "Mr & Mrs Bloggs", 0, 1, 1

I then started excel and opened the txt file with the use of import
wizard making sure I converted some of the columns to text so I didn't
remove the leading zeros.

I then tried to save this in excel as a csv file. However, a message
came up saying that part of the format was uncompatable but did I want
to save anyway,this I did.

Problem is whenever I save it as a txt file again with this aim of
importing the amended data, the leading comma and all the quotation
marks are gone. It appears something like this in notepad:

0027892, Mr & Mrs Bloggs, 0, 1, 1

Any ideas as to what I'm not doing correctly?

Sorry about the longwinded post.

Matt

--
rammstein