Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mike44nh

Default "Name Box" in Excel

I was using a spreadsheet today when the "name box" in the toolbar section
disappeared; this is the box I use to edit text in cells. For the life of me
I can't figure out how to get it back and I've tried everything! Help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tony h

Try on the menus : view -formula bar

hope this helps

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Did the whole formula bar disappear?

View|formula bar

might just do it.

mike44nh wrote:

I was using a spreadsheet today when the "name box" in the toolbar section
disappeared; this is the box I use to edit text in cells. For the life of me
I can't figure out how to get it back and I've tried everything! Help!

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mike44nh

Tony, You saved me! I can't believe how simple that was - I feel like a dolt
after having spent almost 3 hours on this yesterday. ;-) I can't thank you
enough!
Mike

"tony h" wrote:

Try on the menus : view -formula bar

hope this helps

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=515528

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the choices
as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

"tony h" wrote:

Try on the menus : view -formula bar

hope this helps

--
tony h
tony h's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bruce Sinclair

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:
It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the choices
as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

Be a bit cautious when you say this. Some people run with that strange
setting that only shows you the menu items you have recently used (IIRC) ...
and so all those other often helpful possibilities don't in fact show up for
them. :)
As you imply, I too think this is a really bad idea :)

"tony h" wrote:

Try on the menus : view -formula bar

hope this helps

--
tony h
tony h's Profile:
View this thread:

Bruce

(if there were any)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

And to change that setting so that it's "nice":

tools|customize|Options tab
check Always show full menus

and check "Show Standard and formatting toolbars on two rows" so that you can
see all the available icons.

And there are lots of things that don't show up in menus or toolbars. I think
it's nice to go through tools|customize|commands tab and just look through all
the builtin icons in each category.

If you see something you like, just drag it to a toolbar (or create a new
toolbar for your customizations): Tools|Customize|toolbars tab.

"tony h" wrote:

Try on the menus : view -formula bar

hope this helps

--
tony h
tony h's Profile:
View this thread:

Bruce

(if there were any)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bruce Sinclair

In article , wrote:
And to change that setting so that it's "nice":

tools|customize|Options tab
check Always show full menus

and check "Show Standard and formatting toolbars on two rows" so that you can
see all the available icons.

And there are lots of things that don't show up in menus or toolbars. I think
it's nice to go through tools|customize|commands tab and just look through all
the builtin icons in each category.

If you see something you like, just drag it to a toolbar (or create a new
toolbar for your customizations): Tools|Customize|toolbars tab.

That's it. Thanks :)

Bruce Sinclair wrote:

In article , "Doug Kanter"

wrote:
It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the choices
as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

Be a bit cautious when you say this. Some people run with that strange
setting that only shows you the menu items you have recently used (IIRC) ...
and so all those other often helpful possibilities don't in fact show up for
them. :)
As you imply, I too think this is a really bad idea :)

Bruce

(if there were any)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Doug Kanter

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
in message ...
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
It really is a good idea to explore the menus and try as many of the
choices
as possible. There are amazing things (not) hidden in the menus.

Be a bit cautious when you say this. Some people run with that strange
setting that only shows you the menu items you have recently used (IIRC)
and so all those other often helpful possibilities don't in fact show up
for
them. :)
As you imply, I too think this is a really bad idea :)

And another thing: Excel should be designed to open the first 20 times with
a sheet showing keyboard shortcuts, and how to spot their existence for
various menu commands. Right in your face - no turning it off. Imagine how
much carpal tunnel syndrome might've been prevented over the years.