Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
telewats

Default Macro to open files isn't updating correctly

I've created a macro that opens five Excel files. The fifth file links
to the other four for information. I have this one set to open last
because the first four files must be opened in order for Excel to read
them, as they are created through another program so the formatting
isn't such that it can be read by Excel until they are active.

When opening the fifth file without the macro, an option to enable
macros in the file comes up, in which Yes is the correct prompt, and
then an option to enable autolinks to other workbooks comes up, in
which, again, Yes is the correct prompt. Upon answering these
questions, appropriate data in this file is updated with the info from
the others. However, when using the macro, it isn't linking the other
files as needed. Is there something that must be done to make this
happen? I created the macro using the "Record Macro" option, so it
should be capturing everything I did, but I'm wondering if it doesn't
capture the answers to the opening prompts for some reason?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30270

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Not sure if this will do it for you, but here's something to try while
the gurus get to this post.

Edit the macro and paste in this line of code just after the Sub
YourMacroName() line:
Application.DisplayAlerts = False

This will disable the prompt windows. Then at the end of the code,
just before the line that says End Sub, enter this line:
Calculate

This causes the workbook to recalculate, and if all the proper books
are open, the links should update. Let us know what results you get.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
telewats

Thanks for the tip. Even with these changes, I still can't get this to
work, though. If I close just the main file, and reopen, it calculates
perfectly, however it won't do it when using the macro which auto-opens
it. ??