Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Robin Blackwell

Default Excel 2003 ~ How to change the default units of measure?

Hi all,
In Excel 2003, I want to change the default units of measure from
"centimetres" to "inches" (specifically the Margin widths in Page Setup). In
Word 2003 it's very easy - there's a setting under Tools/Options/General,
but nothing similar seems to exist in Excel. Can anyone help please?
Regards,
Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B

I think you'll have to go to the Control Panel, select Regional Options and
set the unit of measure for numbers from U.S. to metric.

Hope this helps.
--
Kevin Backmann

"Robin Blackwell" wrote:

Hi all,
In Excel 2003, I want to change the default units of measure from
"centimetres" to "inches" (specifically the Margin widths in Page Setup). In
Word 2003 it's very easy - there's a setting under Tools/Options/General,
but nothing similar seems to exist in Excel. Can anyone help please?
Regards,
Robin

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Karen

Hi Robin,

I also use Excel 2003 and when I go to Page Setup, my margins default
to "1" for the top and "1" for the bottom and ".75" for both left and
right margins. I'm assuming those are in inches. Do the default
measurements in your program differ from this?

My understanding is that overall, Excel 2003 doesn't use inches or
centimetres, only points and pixels, such as when you're expanding
columns, etc.

This is what the Help file says, although perhaps there may still be
another solution.

"Measurement units and rulers in Excel"

Unlike Microsoft Word, Excel does not provide a horizontal or vertical
ruler, and there is no quick way to measure the width or height of a
worksheet in inches. Excel uses characters, points, and pixels as units
of measurement.

The width of cells is displayed in characters and pixels rather than in
inches. When you drag the boundary of a column heading to adjust the
width of a column on the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the width in
characters and shows pixels in parentheses.
The height of cells is displayed in points and pixels rather than in
inches. When you drag the boundary of a row heading to adjust the
height of a row on the worksheet, a ScreenTip displays the height in
points and shows pixels in parentheses.
An approximate conversion of points and pixels to inches is shown in
the following table.

Points Pixels Inches
18 24 .25
36 48 .5